Culture Shock Critical to the Academic Performance of UK International students.

Culture Shock Critical to the Academic Performance of UK International students.

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 3

Topic: Culture Shock Critical to the Academic Performance of UK International students.

Background

When a person moves to a new country the experience, despite much preparation beforehand, can feel overwhelming. Whether an individual moves to a country with the same first language or not, the process of assimilating the new culture can be a time of great emotional turbulence. This often apply to international students and it is helpful to realise that is quite normal to feel this way.

What is “culture shock”?

“Culture shock” is a term used to describe the anxiety produced when a person moves from a familiar culture to an entirely different cultural or social environment. Familiar sights, sounds and smells are no longer around and small things can easily upset a person and can feel out of proportion.

Possible symptoms:

• Sadness, loneliness, melancholy; Preoccupation with health;Aches, pains, allergies; Insomnia or excessive sleep; Changes in mood, depression, feeling vulnerable; Anger, irritability, resentment; Loss of identity; Lack of confidence; Obsessions over cleanliness; Longing for family; Feeling of being lost or overlooked

Stages of culture shock

Most people experience culture shock in stages. Many people go through different phases of this process a number of times. Some stages may only apply partially to you.

The Honeymoon Stage

Everything about the new culture will delight and stimulate the new arrival. The language will be studied with enthusiasm and great progress will be made. Memories of home are still close to mind and this has a protective value on the individual.

2. The Disintegration Stage

This stage can arrive without warning and can be triggered by a small incident or without any cause. Cultural differences will no longer be celebrated but be viewed as a source of conflict. A person may feel confused, isolated and depressed whilst missing familiar supports.

3. The Reintegration Stage

At this stage a person may begin to compare the new culture unfavourably with home. He/she begins to reject the differences encountered. Feelings of anger, frustration and hostility to the new culture begin to surface. Comfort food from the person’s home country may be sought and consumed with delight. This is quite a healthy reaction. The person is reconnecting with what he/she valued about themselves and their own culture.

4. The Acceptance Stage

A kind of equilibrium is attained in this stage where the person learns to accept both difference and similarity. The individual becomes more relaxed and confident as he/she becomes more familiar with situations and is able to cope well. Most experiences become enjoyable and one is able to make choices according to their own values and preferences.

http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/services/tutors/counselling/informationpages/culture_shock/ 

Research Question? To what extent does culture shock affects the performance of UK International Students in schools?

Study Design:

The study will involve a survey: Data collections here will involve:

1. Checking the results and accessing the performance of past and present UK international students across some selected Universities. 

2. Questionnaire will be drafted for present international students across the selected universities

Possible questions to be drafted in the questionnaire may be

What is your country of origin?

How long have you been in UK?

Do you know what culture shock is?

Do you think you are experiencing it?

Is the weather an issue of concern to you?

Is the language or assent a barrier to you?

How do you interact with your teachers and colleagues?

How confident are you in class?

Do you interact well in seminars?

How do you appreciated the teaching system?

Do you understand the courses?

How efficient are you in your studies?

What was your grades in the previous test or exams?

In reply to Deleted user

Re: Culture Shock Critical to the Academic Performance of UK International students.

by Obianuju Ezidinma Zoe GB-Dumaka -

This is definitely an interesting study and one I can relate to. Having had the opportunity to study abroad during my secondary school years I most definitely went through the stages described and my academics followed suit. At first it was difficult, but after a term or so, once "the acceptance stage" kicked in and acclimatisation developed, I was able to strike a healthy balance and my academics shot up to the top. This was also the case on returning to theUKonce I had finished, although the process was a lot quicker. It would be interesting to see the results of a study like this on a larger scale to see if there is a trend, although I wonder what could be done about it?

In reply to Deleted user

Re: Culture Shock Critical to the Academic Performance of UK International students.

by Deleted user -

Hello Eric 

An intersting one there that hits home with some of us. One interesting thing though is that the it seems past experience doesn't necessarily help you arrive at the Acceptance stage quickly. Having been an international student before ( at a younger age) one would think that it would be easier to go through the stages swiftly or even skip some. My experience is that it is even harder the second time around. So in your questions you could maybe try and establish if age has anything to do with it at all.

In reply to Deleted user

by Jacqueline Nabuala Walumbe -

I wonder if having a small number of interviews in addition to the survey would be an asset in developing and exploring the concept of culture shock. It may be that you could then compare the results of the survey or indeed inform the questions in the survey based on this.