HIV AWARENESS IN NIGERIA

HIV AWARENESS IN NIGERIA

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 1

Research idea

HIV is one of the communicable diseases affecting Nigerian population, the prevalence has been a major challenge for the government and the masses. Nigeria is now on track towards combating the disease. WHO developed core framework of national indicators to observe the progress of coverage, impact, outcomes and availability of priority health sector interventions of HIV treatment, prevention and care.

According to a local study by Nigeria and U.S scientists published in the journal of acquired immunodeficiency syndrome Aug 22, 2012, there is an urgent need to reinforce successful strategies and scale up prevention services. With all this in place the  level of awareness  of the people can go a long way in tackling the disease

Aim: To find out the level of HIV awareness in Nigeria

Method: structured face to face interview with population selected across the six Geo political zone

Questions

What is HIV?

How is it contacted?

What are the ways in which it can be prevented?

How do you think it can be controlled?

What is your HIV status and when was the last time you checked?

If you are introduced to someone living with the disease how will you relate with the person?

What programme of the government are you aware of that deals with HIV in your State and the Nation?

In reply to Deleted user

Re: HIV AWARENESS IN NIGERIA

by Deleted user -

hi, i agree  tosin, awareness plays a major role in HIV prevention. some people still dont believe there is a disease called HIV or most people just choose to ignore. all the efforts by government seem to be inadequate. more people get infected everyday, i consult occasionally at the HIV clinic in the hospital where i worked and the number of newly infected patients was alarming.