Breastfeeding in different social classes

Breastfeeding in different social classes

by Shivani Patel -
Number of replies: 4

I have always been interested in data suggesting breastfeeding in different social classes. 

Particularly in the UK it is more common for women in higher social classes to breastfeed than lower social classes. 

Breastfeeding is free and is always the best for babies. Hence, breastfeeding is of interest to any mother, but more so to a mother of a lower social class, as it saves money and time used up in preparing formula milk. 

Therefore, I would like to investigate what deters a mother from a lower social class from breastfeeding. 

I would compare the various variables of a mother from a lower social class, to that of a higher social class, by looking at factors such as maternal education, occupation, age, in addition to the social pressures and stigma that may be associated with breastfeeding.

I would use interviews to gain experiences and opinions of various mothers. Perhaps those who attend baby clinics or 'sure start' groups. 

I would ask: 

Closed questions such as:

Do you breastfeed or use formula milk?

How often do you find you need to feed?

At what times do you feed?

What is you occupation/what qualifications do you have?

Do you know how you were fed as an infant?

Open questions:

Why do you prefer your chosen feeding method?

How much do you understand about your feeding method? (i.e. why is it good for your child)

What factors influenced your choosen a feeding method? (information leaflets, GP, experience, other mothers)

What is the prefered method of feeding by other mothers that you know, and what age group are these mothers in?

Why did you choose not to breastfeed/bottle feed?

How do you feel about other mothers breastfeeding in public?

How do you feel about the method of feeding you have decided not to use?

I have tried to not offend mothers when phrasing my questions, by avoiding suggesting that breastfeeding is superior to formula feeding, or by making them feel inadequate as a parent due to their choice of feeding. 

In reply to Shivani Patel

Re: Breastfeeding in different social classes

by Deleted user -

This is a very interesting topic Shivani. It is an area that has led to many papers and obviously media campaigns - especially the one we had to read for Epi and Stats (Tim Cole, “Babies, bottles, breasts: is the WHO growth standard relevant?” Significance March 2007).

It would be interesting to see the results from only Sure Start and baby clinics to see how true a representation of  the population you would get - when I did a placement in Huddersfield in a GP surgery, I spent time at baby clinics and most people didn't turn up for appointments so collecting data for certain groups of patients might be difficult - also, not sure how relevant it is but there may be a translational issue for some areas. Also, some ethnic minorities might be more in favour of breast feeding compared to areas as well as certain ages - young mums might be against it due to the bodily repurcussions that might occur/mastitis. This was quite an interesting webpage to read but the source may not be so reliable: http://www.webmd.boots.com/children/news/20100126/ethnic-background-affects-breastfeeding.

In reply to Deleted user

by Shivani Patel -

Thank you for the info!

My interest is more with young mums, as there was recently a channel 4 program on breastfeeding (I can't remember the name), and young mums were reluctant to breast feed due to the 'sexualisation' of breasts, they simply were not ok with the fact breasts were to breasfeed! It is this culture I wish to understand more.

I think if i choose clinics in underpriviliged areas, I am hoping there may be more of a younger audience, who i hope may be more willing to attend. 

In reply to Shivani Patel

by Obianuju Ezidinma Zoe GB-Dumaka -

This is a pretty interesting research idea and it would be great to see what the results of this would be. I was actually under the impression that it was the opposite way round to what you suggested in terms of those from higher socio economic classes breastfeeding babies less. I do believe there are various complex factors that are involved that will vary from region to region such as culture, the social support mothers receive, as well as their socioeconomic status which you mention. For example, in some countries, or even within countries, it may be acceptable for a mother to breastfeed her baby openly in public, whiilst in another it would be frowned or looked down upon. Something as seemingly minor as this can influence the decision a mother makes as to breastfeeding or not. For example if a woman migrates from a country where breastfeeding is seen as the norm to one that is more 'Western' for example and sees the availability of formula milk and the seemingly less acceptable behaviour of breastfeeding in public, she may be pressured into switching to formula milk to be able to fit in and fit around her schedule.

This is an interesting article on the subject

Earle, S. (2002) Factors affecting the initiation of breastfeeding: implications for breastfeeding promotion, HEALTH PROMOTION INTERNATIONAL  Volume: 17   Issue: 3   Pages: 205-214   DOI: 10.1093/heapro/17.3.205  

http://heapro.oxfordjournals.org/content/17/3/205

In reply to Obianuju Ezidinma Zoe GB-Dumaka

by Deleted user -

In my country, Mozambique, many women used to breastfeed in public because when they decide to opt out brestfeeding are blamed that they are HIV/AIDS infected