Depression in the workplace

Depression in the workplace

by Storm Parker -
Number of replies: 5

Introduction: Depression often leads to a loss of productivity in the workplace, and can result in prolonged absences and job loss. For fear of stigmatisation or job insecurity, staff may feel uncomfortable or unable to disclose their condition to their boss or their colleagues. These consequences may be avoidable if staff felt comfortable to disclose their condition, so that it could be better managed in the workplace by collaborative interventions with health care services, before the onset of sick leave and job loss 1,2.

1. Gilbody, S., Bower, P. and Rick, J. (2012). Better care for depression in the workplace: integrating occupational and mental health services. The British Journal of Psychiatry, no. 200, pp. 442-443.

2. Bhui, K., Dinos, S., Stansfeld, S. and White, P. (2012). A synthesis of the evidence for managing stress at work: a review of the reviews reporting on anxiety, depression, and absenteeism. The Journal of Environmental and Public Health, no. 2, article ID 515874.

Study design: a qualitative questionnaire of members of staff from various workplaces who have been diagnosed with depression.

Research question: How do people with depression feel about disclosing their condition to their colleagues/managers?

Questions for staff with depression:

• When were you diagnosed with depression?
  • Do you think it has it affected you ability to perform at work?
  • Has it affected you satisfaction at work?
  • Have you told anyone at work about it?
  • If yes-
    • Who did you tell and when?
    •  Does you manager know?
    • How did you tell that person? Was it a formal or informal setting?
    • Why did you tell that particular person?
    • Was the information kept confidential?
    •  Did you feel better after telling them?
    •  Has it changed anything? E.g. how you are treated or approached by others?
    • Have you been offered any additional support?
  • If no-
    • Why haven’t you told anyone? What are your concerns about telling people?
    • Would you like to?
    • If you did, what do you think would happen?

In reply to Storm Parker

Re: Depression in the workplace

by Sara Shaw -

Another interesting proposal and, like the others posted so far, it will develop and change. If you were working this up some more then it might help to focus the question and/or the sample a bit more.... perhaps asking 'what's the most interesting/important subset of people with depression'? And you might also think about how you could access/contact potential respondents? I wondered whether you were thinking of a questionniare survey to a wide group of people and/or a smaller interview study (see posts in the thread on 'gender disparities in intensive care' for more on this)?

In reply to Storm Parker

by Samuel Dafydd Rigby -

I like that the interview process allows for exploration of two channels of response to depression, asking further question both of those who have told people and those who haven't.

Where were you hoping to ask these questions? what kind of environment? would you interview at the workplace or elsewhere?

How do you hope to get your sample group?

do you think there would be any role for using the results (such as simply did you tell anyone: yes or no) in a quantitative analysis (based on the answer of another question like your first question determining length of time with diagnosis)?

In reply to Samuel Dafydd Rigby

by Storm Parker -

There are many working environments to choose from- for example office workers, manual labour, health care staff, teachers- some are under the pressures of the micro-society (e.g. gossip or misconceptions about depression in an office or building site) and some the expectations to be 'immune' or no time for depression (e.g. teachers/doctors/bosses) etc.

An option would be to conduct the study at a primary care level when a patient reports to their doctor that they are depressed- this may have benefits in some professions (such as office worker etc), where being away from their working environment may lead them to be more open about their views, away from the fear of being judged by colleagues etc. However, most people with depression do not seek medical help, especially doctors!

I'm not sure what the best place to conduct this study would be- does anyone have any ideas?

A mixture of qualitative and quantitative results could be used, qualitative to give an measurable guide to the scale of the problem, and quantitative to try and explain why this is so?

In reply to Storm Parker

by Deleted user -

I too like the idea of having two channels of response. It gives you more options to explore the reasons behind depression.

Concerning your study population, you should focus on one or two professions. Otherwise you either risk of having to interview so many people that it will cost you a lot of time and money, or you can't get significant results due to a small sample size.

I think depression among teachers is a very important and current issue in many countries. I would focus my study on that profession.

It is definitely a very interesting topic and - again - I like your approach to it.

In reply to Deleted user

by Deleted user -

I agree that it is very difficult to find a suitable place to conduct your study, but I like your idea of doing the interviews in a doctor’s practice. As you only include participants who have already been diagnosed with depression, their general practitioners probably know them for quite some time and have built up a trustworthy relationship with them!