Non-adherence in patients with Type 2 Diabetes

Non-adherence in patients with Type 2 Diabetes

by Lindsay Jane Bull -
Number of replies: 7

I'm not sure if this is what was wanted, or if I've covered everything.

Type 2 Diabetes occurs due to resistance to insulin. It is becoming increasingly common; it is estimated that it affects 1 in 20 adults across the world, and projections suggest that by 2030 it will rise to 439 million, which is 7.7% of the total adult population of the world.

Modifiable risk factors include obesity, hypertension, physical inactivity, dietary factors, smoking, as well as many others. Treatment for type 2 diabetes is based on patient education, lifestyle and diet modification and management of glucose control, which ranges from metformin to insulin.  

Non-adherence to treatment is a problem in all chronic diseases, especially Type 2 Diabetes. The aim of the research would be to explain the differences in adherence to treatment plans. Do people have different opinions regarding diabetes? Are cultural issues responsible, or is it lack of information regarding their condition? Do patients understand their condition correctly, and do they understand the importance of adherence to treatment to maintain blood glucose levels within a safe range?

-          When were they diagnosed?

-          How did their diagnosis make them feel?

-          Ask patient to explain diabetes to measure their understanding of the condition and risk factors

-          Ask whether patient has made any lifestyle modifications – diet alterations etc

-          If so, how difficult was it?

-          If not, why not? Did they try?

-          Understanding consequences of not taking medication

-          Ask patient to explain their treatment plan

-          Do they take their medication?

-          If not, why not?

-          How often?

This interview would need to be open and unchallenging to ensure honesty, as patients with diabetes could find it threatening if they are questioned in depth, as it is likely that they are constantly told by health professionals about the importance of making lifestyle modifications and compliance with treatment plans. 

In reply to Lindsay Jane Bull

Re: Non-adherence in patients with Type 2 Diabetes

by Patricia Greenhalgh -

YES!  This is exaclty what's needed Lindsay. If you were working this up some more I would probably focus the question and/or the sample down a bit more as the more you get into a research study the bigger it gets. So when you've had your original idea (set out in your posting), the next stage is to ask 'what's the most interesting / important sub-set of what I've identified here?' For example you might loke to look particularly at people who don't attend clinic, or those whose diabetes is out of control. And you might like to take one aspect of your list of questions and 'dig deeper' into that aspect. 

But the basic idea of askign open questions to explore people's perceptions of an issue is excatly right, and the background section is well described.

I suspect others are working on their posting and waiting to see what gets put up, so well done for being first!

In reply to Patricia Greenhalgh

by Deleted user -

Thankx Lindsay for your post.. i was a bt confused about the research idea.

You have included almost evry thing.. i was just wondering( may be wrong) can we ask the patients about thier family history of DM..i think the family history of Type 2 DM plays an important role in the case of non-adherence, like poeple with positive history may show more adherence as they ve seen the effects of the disease than those with no family history..

Thankx

Esha

In reply to Deleted user

by Deleted user -

hey lindsay  i was not confused with your research idea.. i was confused with the seminar.. u made me clear.. :)

In reply to Deleted user

by Lindsay Jane Bull -

That's a question I hadn't really thought of, as I wanted to focus on modifiable risk factors such as diet, obesity and physical inactivity. You are right though, family history of diabetes may influence a sufferer's perception of the disease, although I would argue that it could reduce adherence as diabetes becomes the 'norm', and patients may believe that it is 'in the genes' so there is no point in trying to modify their lifestyle.

by Deleted user -

Hi Lindsay,

I just realized that you did your interview on diabtes type 2, I find it really interesting that even though I have the same topic as you, we asked different questions and we tackled the questions from a different angle. I liked how you did it on diagnosis. You have raised many quetsions I wouldnt have even thought of. My favourite one you spoke about was 'understanding the consequence of not taking the medication' because I think majority of people who suffer from diabetes don't know what the cosequences are themselves. 

by Deleted user -

I also feel I did mine a bit wrong as yours has much more detail that mine. what do you think?