Careers in Politics event & Career Discussions next week... and more!

Careers in Politics event & Career Discussions next week... and more!

by Caroline Lisser -
Number of replies: 0

Welcome back after Reading Week! See below for more info on:

• Careers in Politics event next week
    • Careers appointments for Historians available next Tuesday
    • Work experience  options with the Imperial War Museum
    • QHack Social Enterprise weekend
    • International Student Careers Week
    • Take on an online Careers test... 

EVENT: CAREERS IN PARLIAMENT & PARTY POLITICS

Tuesday 20th November, 6.15pm, Bancroft Building 3.26

This event brings together professionals and alumni to discuss their careers in Parliament & party politics, the opportunities available in the sector, and the challenges they have met.
Find out more from QM alumni Haaris Tariq, House of Commons and Parliamentary Aide to Nic Dakin MP, and Hannah Matin Parliamentary Researcher. Both are early in their career and have excelled in the application process. Get the insiders' view on

·       Why these are fulfilling career options 

·       The best investments you can make,  inside and outside of your degree, in order to stand out in applications

·       What it is really like to work in these fields, and what the real differences between studying the theory and practice of these subjects are

History exclusive Careers Appointments with Caroline, available all morning on Tuesday 20th November – call 020 7882 8533 or drop into the Careers Centre in Queens’ Building WG3, to reserve a time. Come and discuss your post Masters plans and options.

----------------

Imperial War Museum Work Experience

Emily Charles (QM grad) who is an IWM curator and spoke at our Museums event last month, is offering the possibility of some remote work experience for IWM Duxford and highlights when to look out for IWM volunteering in London:

“In the meantime there are loads of tasks that students can do remotely for my website https://www.americanairmuseum.com/ so if they’re interested in the Second World War, and/or American history, they can check it out and drop me an email at aamwebsite@iwm.org.uk  and I can suggest some areas that need some work!

I also forgot to say that IWM London runs student volunteer placements over the summer as well, they only need to commit to 2 days a week, and the museum will cover a certain amount of expenses. They’ll probably be advertised around Easter time on https://www.iwm.org.uk/london/volunteer,”

------------------- 

QHack: Social Enterprise

From 7th – 9th December QEnterprise is running a weekend bootcamp designed to teach YOU, how to develop an idea into a social enterprise in just three days! These weekends are invariably fun, intense, transformative experiences – and it’s totally free. We welcome QMUL students and alumni from all backgrounds, regardless of experience level.

·       You will learn about all the key aspects of getting a social enterprise (or any business) off the ground.

·       You’ll be with loads of passionate, engaged students with similar interests.

·       You’ll network with a load of entrepreneurs and industry professionals.

·       You’ll have a chance to pitch for funding for your idea at the end!

The absolute deadline to apply is midnight on Sunday, 25th November. However, early applications will be given priority. If your application is successful, we will invite you to a short phone interview in the week after the deadline. You can apply and find more info on how the weekend works here If you have any questions, don't hesitate to email us at enterprise@qmul.ac.uk.

--------------------------- 

International Students Week  - Careers Activities, 19 – 22 November

Various careers events for International Students… on visas, job search strategy, finding work experience etc.  To find out more, visit QM Careers Events online http://www.careers.qmul.ac.uk/events/ and look for events next week that start with ‘ISW’

--------------------------

ONLINE CAREERS TEST: Take the Universum Career Test to help move your career forward

Have you started thinking about your future career? Take the Universum Career Test and get feedback on topics such as

•       Which career profile are you? (There are seven career profiles, this test will determine which profile fits you best)

•       What soft skills are companies looking for?

•       What employers suit me?

•       How can I improve my CV?

To take the test click here https://careertest.universumglobal.com/s/19ukqmul  

This survey is brought to you by Queen Mary Careers & Enterprise in partnership with Universum.  This test is available for a limited time only. Your answers and results are confidential and always kept anonymous. If you have any inquiries, feedback or concerns you are welcome to contact info.universum@career-test.com.