Menopause

Menopause

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 1

Is menopause a physiological process that most women go through without even needing to see their doctors in most part of the world or is it another ‘’medicalised’’  subject that has potential to intervene and improve?

In the western society it is seen as a negative concept such as deceased periods, ovarian failure, hormonal deficiency. Hence it is common and , in some way, justified to demand replacing or reverting it.

Concerns over the changing body image, wrinkles, reduced sex drive and the transition of a ‘grumpy, achy old lady’’ are worrisome for the most affluent women which is fed by the consumerist attitude.

Whereas in the under developed countries, it could be a relief for women to finalise their child-bearing duties and take up the role of a respected and loved grand-mother. Hence it is considered as a natural event not a condition requires guidance for. ( You could argue that the access of care is poor or expensive for these women to even think of seeing a doctor! I wonder how much difference would there be for men to seek medical attention for their age-related declining sexual dysfunction compared to women for menopausal symptoms?)

Is it not sarcastic that we treat some of the menopausal symptoms with the anti-depressants as if we are treating these women for their negative attitude towards their symptoms rather than really suspending this physiological process?

Here is a link for further reading:

http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/shil_enhanced/virtual6_full.asp

In reply to Deleted user

Re: Menopause

by Shivani Patel -

Hi Filiz,

I agree, I think in Western countries where these chronic degenerative diseases are present and healthcare is more widely available and understood, most natrual processes of life become medicalised. From childbirth, to bereavement, you could even argue alchohol and drug addiction. 

In poorer countries there is no time or energy for sympathy of these things, but in Western countries it is now the social norm to sympathise and help people through these times. Most people even seek help themselves. 

It is the aim of people to want to be 'healthy' in every way from their looks, to their mind and their bodies. 

This also ties in to modern medicines aims of preventing ageing and prolonging life for as long as possible.