Eating Disorders-Anorexia Nervosa(AN)

Eating Disorders-Anorexia Nervosa(AN)

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 2

Eating disorders are serious biologically-based mental illnesses which can affect everyone.They don't descriminate by age, gender, class, color, culture, size, shape or weight. Eating disorders, such as anorexia nervosa, do have the hightest mortality rate of any mental illness.

Anorexia nervosa is an eating disorder characterized by immoderate food restriction and irrational fear of gaining weight. People with AN don't in fact lose their appetite but they suppress their hunger as this illness is coupled with a distorted, low selfesteem. AN has many complicated implications and may be considered as a lifelong illness that may never be truly cured. Let alone the fact that people who suffer AN rarely seek treatment as they usually deny having a problem or they think they don't need help in the first place.

It is estimated that an average of carolies that a person with AN intakes is 600-800 calories per day. The onset age is between 13 to 17 years and recent studies show that this age has decrease to 9 to 12 years of age. It is pretty sure that rolemodels play an important role during this sensitive age.

What I would like to focus on is the stigma that appears in all different shades in a situation like this. A clear case in point is my friend who suffers AN and one day out of the blue she was fired from her job. The main reason was her appearence, actually her lean body and her pale face and not her pure performance during working hours. Why are public attitudes towards individuals with eating disorders moderately negative?There seems to be specific forms of stigmatisation attributed to individuals with AN and I am wondering if some of the phychological effects(not physical)regarding this illness are more an outcome of lack of social support since we eventually talk about stereotypes and descrimination towards AN sufferers?!

In reply to Deleted user

Re: Eating Disorders-Anorexia Nervosa(AN)

by Sadhana Sharanya Jacob -

I agree that people with AN may be stigmatised because of peoples lack of understanding on their condition. During my psychiatry placement, I spoke to a patient who was regulalry told by her parents, friends and work colleagues to "snap out of it" and start eating. This ignorance into the reasons behind her condition worsened her mood and caused her to feel very isolated. 

In reply to Deleted user

Re: Eating Disorders-Anorexia Nervosa(AN)

by Lindsay Jane Bull -

I agree, I think that many people still have a belief that it is all in the mind, and it is not recognised as a disease, which must have a further psychological effect as it means there is less of a support system.