Social Context of Alcoholism

Social Context of Alcoholism

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 3

The CDC considers alcoholism a chronic disease. The specific signs and symptoms include: “a strong craving for alcohol, continued use despite repeated physical, psychological, or interpersonal problems, and the inability to limit drinking.” (http://www.cdc.gov/alcohol/faqs.htm)

Although it is normal to engage in casual drinking, both publically and privately, it is interesting that individual opinions are skewed once one is pinned an alcoholic. It is socially acceptable to drink, but one may be considered weak or influenced by the power of alcohol if they cannot control their craving. It is important to consider the effect that alcohol has had on individuals, alcohol has contributed to dangerous acts such as drinking and driving, suicide, sexual assault, and high-risk sex. Alcoholism is not only affecting an individual, but the society in which the individual participates.

This made me think about the current state of individuals our age suffering with alcohol problems and I ran across an article Social Context of Drinking and Alcohol Problems Among College Students. This article addressed the social contexts of drinking and how it was related to alcohol-related disorders. The concept of alcoholism is so interesting to me because the behavior may have started as a social activity and is socially accepted, but can lead to many disparities in ones life if overused.

The article: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2390773/

In reply to Deleted user

Re: Social Context of Alcoholism

by Sultana Azam -

That's quite interesting Nicole. I agree it's interesting to see how chronic diseases such as alcoholism is affecting younger people. I think you could also link it to smoking yet you don't really hear of 'smokingism.'

I think it's interesting to discuss how far alcoholism, smoking and IV Drug use are influenced by social factors in comparison to biological factors. Some people would argue that these are 'lifestyle diseases.'

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2011/sep/16/un-summit-spread-lifestyle-diseases

Article from the guardian

It also brings up the debate on whether the NHS should treat these lifestyle diseases, which can be seen as self inflicted.

Sultana

In reply to Deleted user

by Deleted user -

Hi Nicole,

Alcoholism is a very interesting topic: one that is increasing issue.

Drawing on from Sultana's comment, studies have shown that alcoholism and smoking are parallel issues with the tendency to have a snowball effect: adopting other, equally risky, health damaging habits.

It would also be interesting to investigate the role of excersise on drinking and smoking and the extent to which excersise may or may not be a deterrant.

I suggest this because i happen to know someone (a 40-something year old caucasian man) who, during the week (monday-friday) lives a very healthy and active lifestyle. He goes to the gym 2/3 times a week, eats healthily, and refrains from drinking and smoking. When the weekend kicks in, he lets himself go (as though in no control of himself). He doesn't excersise; binge drinks and smokes.

I once asked him why he does this, he had no tangible explanations.

It could be said that, his reasons for doing so stem from the concensus attitude toward the weekend as being a time to relax, as well as the general drinking culture (which is not only found in the UK but present in other countries, including developing ones). Furthermore, it's as though the weekend has some sort of crippling affect on him; thereby eroding all sense of personal motivation or achievement of living health during the week. It may also be worth pointing out that he realises the effects of his behaviour but lacks the capacity to refrain from bingeing on the weekend.

Alice Sesay

In reply to Deleted user

by Deleted user -

It is interesting to that that as you put Nicole - if you drink a little on the weekend with friends then it is a social relaxant, a necessary to run your troubles from the week away but once you need regular drinks to keep going or getting up in the morning then you become an "alcoholic" and everyones perception of you changes.
For our 3rd year OSCE, we had a detailed list of alcohol related questions that we asked that could indicate if someone was dependant on alcohol and included:

- do you need a drink to get you up in the morning?

- have you sometimes never remembered how you've got home the night before?

If you ask many medical students these type of questions, you'll get the likely answer of 'yes'... which means that does for example, continued answers every sunday morning (post sat night binges) constitute an alcoholic?...and thus, the social stigma or is it just being a "typical student"?