Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)

Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 1

I have chosen the irritable bowel syndrome as I have recently read a review article about the importance of relationships in IBS patients. IBS is characterised by abdominal pain, bloating and change of bowel habit. It is often accompanied by extra intestinal symptoms like backache, nausea, constant lethargy and urinary frequency.

Although there are guidelines to diagnose (Rome III Criteria) and treat IBS, its aetiology is difficult to comprehend from a disease based biomedical perspective. At present there are only hypothesis of what causes IBS such as hyperalgesia of the colon or acute gastrointestinal infection.

Psychosocial factors (i.e. life stress) seem to have a severe impact on the onset and progress of IBS. Gerson et Gerson report that support and depth in family relationships lead to lower illness experience whereas conflicts correlate with stronger illness apperception. They cite a study that included about 1500 IBS patients who were questioned about personal relationships. 6% felt that IBS affected their partner’s love for them, 19% felt that their partners had difficulties with their physical relationship and even 45% thought that IBS interfered with their sex life (Gerson et Gerson, 2012).

These findings might not seem very novel, but I find it important to think about alternative treatment strategies (i.e. family therapy) especially in diseases with pharmaceutical treatment options available that offer only limited success, such as IBS. What do you think?

Gerson M.-J. et Gerson C.D., The Importance of Relationsships in Patients with Irritable Bowel Syndrome: A Review. Gastroenterology Research and Practise (2012), p.1-5

In reply to Deleted user

Re: Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)

by Yasin Fatine -

One of the few radio programmes I have listened to was about gastrointestinal disorders, and how massively difficult things must be socially. One particular issue that many sufferers complain about is not knowing when they will need the toilet, and when out in public, they have to find the nearest restaurant toilet to relieve themselves in. The problem is, many restaurant staff do not have an understanding of these conditions and refuse them entry, which could lead to extremely embarrassing scenarios. About 6 months back, parliament were also discussing this issue, mainly about Crohn's but covering all GI disorders, and how action should be taken to make people more aware and accepting of these conditions. But how to take such action is another question.