Hypertension: differences in adherence to treatment between different cultures

Re: Hypertension: differences in adherence to treatment between different cultures

by Obianuju Ezidinma Zoe GB-Dumaka -
Number of replies: 0

Hi Vanessa,

This is definitely a really interesting topic. I've been meaning to post a reply since I read it. I agree with the general theme of the rest of the comments on here and I think it definitely boils down to culture. I am of Nigerian descent myself and our culture as well as strong religious beliefs than run through most of the country definitely have an impact firstly on what people will even acknowledge as being a "medical illness" and as such their adherence to medication. Even when they formally accept a diagnosis, there seems to be a preference for more familiar 'herbal' remedies which were used and seen to work for their ancestors.

Having said that, I would classify myself as a 2nd generation immigrant to this country. My parents being 1st generation. This kind of mind set seems to water down as you go further down the line. I for one would not seek herbal remedies over prescribed medication, purely now because of my education and upbringing in this country. 

In all I think doctors need to be culturally aware of the sort of people they are dealing with, which in the country will vary tremendously and thus put a lot more emphasis on educating their patients and treating them in a holistic manner in order to get the best all round results.