Experiencing a diagnosis of Multiple Sclerosis

Experiencing a diagnosis of Multiple Sclerosis

by Sara Shaw -
Number of replies: 2

Earlier today, I listened to a radio programme about ‘controlling health’, about how illness and injuries can challenge the sense of control that we think we have over our bodies in modern society. There were several guests, each with a different take on the way people try to control health, illness and disease. I was particularly struck by Maria Hyland, a woman with multiple sclerosis who talked about her experience of life before and after MS. From a sociological perspective Maria had spent most of her life seeking ‘success’ and so, when she received a medical diagnosis of MS, she initially it secret, feeling that her illness marked her as impaired and a failure. She described her MS diagnosis as a shock and embarrassment, that marked her out as ‘different’ and that challenged her own sense of control. Hence it took her four years to accept her illness in a way that allowed her to redefine her own identity and find a new way to live with her illness in society. Springing out to wider social analysis, the guests on the programme then talked about how different societies and cultures think about 'controlling health' - they contrasted Chinese culture (where people tend to focus more on a search for balance and harmony) with ancient Rome (where people tended to focus more on restraint).

Do share other examples BUT START A NEW THREAD unless you’re replying to my example

In reply to Sara Shaw

Re: Experiencing a diagnosis of Multiple Sclerosis

by Samuel Dafydd Rigby -

From my experience and discussions with those diagnosed and suffering from disabling disease i have found the response highly individual. 

I have however found consistency in one thing. Everyone i have spoken has had an idea of themselves. An idea of how they contribute to society and socially. Where their strengths are. This is significant as these have usually appeared to determine how they have responded to their illness. 

I believe this reflects the increasingly affective pattern in modern western society of judgement on individuals worth. From the differentiation between a homeless person who may want money on the street to the flash high earner in the car that drives by (A favourite reference to this is 'two scavengers in a truck' by lawrence ferlinghetti) before we have even spoken a word. To the question of 'what do you do for a living?' so often encountered early after introductions. (i understand this question does not exist simply for the purpose of judgement, but judgement is an undeniable feature.) 

So people need to find their worth in society, and if/when illness checks this, redefinition and redistribution of effort to new tasks to create value is highly important in our economic time and resource scare environment. However, in societies with less value placed on growth and 'efficicency' this may not occur to such an aggressive extent? 

In reply to Samuel Dafydd Rigby

Re: Experiencing a diagnosis of Multiple Sclerosis

by Sandeep Suryadevara Rao -

It's sad that the lady you describe felt embarassed after being diagnosed with MS. Perhaps she was anticipating being treated differently / pitied by society. I think many people see illnesses as some form of impairment, since they can become less able to function in some specific areas. Furthermore, I have known long-term relationships to break down after one of the couple is diagnosed with a chronic illness. I think this stems from concerns over the ability to be a parent in the long term, or even burdening the family.

For me, the issue of control is a massively important one: particularly with MS which is known to remit and relapse. How could somebody plan their life when they dont know when they may suffer a relapse of illness? In some ways, an unpredictable disease is worse than a disease which is always present. I think the reason some people get hysterical when there is a wasp in the room, is not because it hurts a lot when they sting, but because they dont know when it will strike.

And Samuel, I agree about response to illness being person-specific. Although, I dont think that it is only in western/financially efficient countries where people can lose their self-worth when struck by illness- illness can massively affect one's social functioning independent of how economically active they are.

What do other people think?