Attitudes to Depression and its Treatment

Attitudes to Depression and its Treatment

by Sandeep Suryadevara Rao -
Number of replies: 7

Attitudes to depression have changed over time, and vary a lot between different nations. Certainly over the past 20 years there has been a big shift in the USA towards people openly discussing their diagnosis of depression, and taking medications, or psychotherapy.

In the 1990’s the prescription of Prozac became increasingly popular. People in the USA in particular seemed to be more comfortable with disclosing their personal diagnosis and use of antidepressants. The UK has certainly gone down this road too. However, in places like India people are still very reluctant to even see a doctor over their depressive symptoms. Furthermore, people in India tend to somatise their symptoms (present with pain rather than sadness). This seems to be because of the stigma still present in India.

Psychotherapy/talking therapy has also become very widespread over the last 20 years (particularly in the US, although I hear it is popular in Argentina). Whereas, not long ago, depression was seen as a sign of weakness, it almost seems as though it can be a sign of status (in some sectors of society only) if you can afford to see a therapist .

The word count prevents me from elaborating on some of these points, but since we have group members from different countries perhaps we can identify differences in attitudes??

In reply to Sandeep Suryadevara Rao

Re: Attitudes to Depression and its Treatment

by Yasin Fatine -

So do you think the stigma towards depression has pretty much disappeared in the Western world? I know that some celebrities etc are comfortable revealing their mental health issues, but I personally think that for the regular person suffering from depression, there still is stigma; if anything, perceived. And I wouldn't equate being comfortable telling a doctor about my condition to telling all my friends (who may or may not matter more). What does everyone else think? 

In reply to Yasin Fatine

by Deleted user -

I think it always comes down to the relationship you have with people, may it be depression, another disease or any other kind of topic. The kind of relationship you have with a person, as well as the attitude that person has toward you and your disease, define whether you feel comfortable talking about it.

I do agree that the stigma towards depression is not what it used to be a few decades ago. More and more people understand that depression or any other psychiatric disease is as important and "normal" as a physical disease. Of course, the media and certain celebrities have found a way to promote themselves and earn money by revealing their mental health problems.

On a side note, if I remember correctly, Prozac is featured in the book 'The Truth About the Drug Companies'. In order to sell their products drug companies have openly talked about certain kinds of diseases and made them more socially acceptable. So that might have also played a role in reducing the stigma of depression.

In reply to Yasin Fatine

by Deleted user -

The friends I have go the route of 'snap out of it!' anyways, so I stopped telling

In reply to Yasin Fatine

by Moaize Chechi -

From my own experiences, I have known quite a few people who as they have grown older have become chronically unhappy with their lives, who were just seen as having become boring, bland individuals unable to 'have fun'. Having known them personally I knew that it was because they felt as if they had no purpose or direction in their life, and they had symptoms consistent with depression. For people like that who are clearly miserable, I do think there is a lot of stigma towards them because of the social norm to be more outgoing and extrovert and able to 'let your hair down', especially as a teenager and a young adult.

But I think once someone has a medical diagnosis of clinical depression and their close friends and family are informed of this, I think attitudes have changed to the extent where people are certainly a lot more understanding and sympathetic; largely I believe due to the medicalisation of the condition. This has meant it is no longer seen as the patient's fault, so people are hardly going to blame the patient for it. 

I also think that the reason for the depression is important for the attitude towards it. Someone who would say they are depressed because of a spiritual malady in their heart, or they feel like they have no reason to live due to a lack of purpose, may not be treated with the same amount of sympathy as someone depressed after going through a divorce, or having recently lost a loved one.

In reply to Sandeep Suryadevara Rao

by Deleted user -

I wish we (by that,I mean Nigerians) had access to any sort of medical treatment for depression. I suppose it exists, but because depression is seen as "white people's problem" psychotherapists would probably have very few patients (maybe only those willing to sneek in at night or go in cognito). Unfortunately, suicide too is seen as "something white people do." As you can imagine, there aren't many Nigerians trotting off to friends, family, pastors (we are so big on pastors!) to confess any suicidal thoughts. 

Depression isn't yet regarded as an illness back home. It's what you get when you have too much time on your hands, or you watch too much TV.

In reply to Deleted user

by Deleted user -

i think in nigeria people with depression find it weird goin to see a psychiatrist or GP because of some 'simple' unhappy state of mind, so you hardly get patients who you can actually diagnose of depression.patients would rather visit the hospital for more serious conditions but i guess, a psychiatrist would have a different opinion   

In reply to Deleted user

by Deleted user -

depression has a way of changing peoples personality and their relationship with people.back home i had a friend who often suffer depression but seeing a psychriatist never comes to the picture.its rather seen as attitude problem and not depression