Extending Patient Contact Handbook
This is a community based placement for all Year 2 students at Barts and The London School of Medicine and Dentistry. Students need to continue to meet patients, building on their experiences in Medicine in Society in Year 1 and continue their professional development with the benefit of authentic clinical experiences.
General practice will work as a setting which will bring to life the PBL scenarios, contextualising and broadening your learning and encouraging you to think about the wider, more varied, range of disease presentation. The opportunity to actively engage with patients in a safe, yet authentic, clinical environment will allow you to reflect on your communication skills and your attitudes to patients and illness, forming an important aspect of their professional development.
To build on the general practice experience and patient contact in Medicine in Society in Year 1, bring to life the ‘core’ conditions covered in the PBL sessions with clinical experience.
By the end of this unit, students should be able to:
- Apply their theoretical knowledge to clinical situations,
- Talk appropriately with patients,
- Identify the variety of patients’ concerns, the patients perspective of illness,
- treatment and its impact on them and their families
- Perform appropriate clinical examinations such as blood pressure and other basic examinations under adequate supervision
- Use their observation of senior colleagues in clinical practice to reflect on the attributes required of them as professionals