Week 4 preparation Bacchae

Week 4 preparation Bacchae

by Rachel Bryant Davies -
Number of replies: 0

Dear all,

Thank you all for your contributions this week: you did really well raising lots of questions and discussion points! :-)

Before the class on Tuesday, please ensure you finish reading Bacchae (if you haven't already). Please also read the extracts uploaded:

•  from James Morwood's The Plays of Euripides and Seaford's Bacchae commentary
  • Anne Carson's version of Bacchae, including her verse foreword/prologue/translator's note ("If I were 2 dogs...") and her essay on tragedy from Grief Lessons
  • short extracts from Wole Soyinka's Bacchae are coming soon (waiting for my print copy to arrive to not break copyright in uploading passages)...
  • (NB The handout and slides are uploaded for anyone who wants to read ahead for accessibility reasons: generally, I'm not expecting you to though)
Please bring to the class:
  • your handout from last week (you can download this if you couldn't make last class, and the slides are uploaded under Week 3 if you need to catch up)
  • access to the Gibbons translation (ebook via TALIS list, or on paper if you have it) and the Carson extracts
  • more questions /comments /enthusiasm!
Take care, and look forward to seeing you next week,
Rachel