Evidence-Based Dentistry for staff on QMPlus

Evidence-Based Dentistry for staff on QMPlus

by Dominic Hurst -
Number of replies: 0

Dear all,

You will hopefully be aware of my interest in encouraging evidence-based practice amongst our students. As well as creating courses for them I have created an area on QMPlus with learning material for staff. I am gratified that some staff have already begun to use this resource and develop some of their teaching using it.

EBD is not, in my view, about telling people what evidence they should be following but is a state of mind and a set of abilities that involve questioning what we do, identifying relevant evidence in a systematic way, evaluating its validity and, ultimately, using it as appropriate.

I see the skills we teach as part of the EBD course as clinical skills that play a part in our decision making whenever possible. I would really like to encourage a philosophy in our clinical teaching that students arrive on clinic not only knowing what they are technically about to do but also to come with a sense of what research and other evidence sources can contribute to their practice. To do this I need your support on clinic and am willing to help in any way I can to facilitate this.

Please use the resources on QMPlus but also feel free to contact me to discuss how you might incorporate the approach into your teaching. I really am very willing to assist!

Thanks,

Dominic