Health Systems 1 - end of term module essay, your questions answered

Health Systems 1 - end of term module essay, your questions answered

by Jonathan Filippon -
Number of replies: 0

Dear all,

Here is another lot of questions about our Health Systems end of term assignment. As last week, you will see the question written like this (in italic and bold letters) and my answer just underneath. From now I will be answering your questions on an individual basis during next week as the deadline is next Friday the 22nd by 5pm.

Here are your questions:

1. I will be covering topic B and I want to choose the UK as my country, I have been thinking though should I choose England instead as there are slight differences in the health systems between the four countries in the UK despite them sharing the NHS.

Yes, as we have seen over the health system module, there are in fact 4 different NHSs in the UK – one for each country, since the political devolution process. You can choose one country to analyse, therefore in this case either Scotland, England, Wales or Northern Ireland and its respective NHS.

2. I would like to ask a question about topic2. Looking at the guidelines, I need to evaluate the capacity and organisation of the healthcare system in a specific country. Then, in the process of responding to the Covid-19 pandemic, it should be focused on the changes in the health care system and services. Additionally, if I mention the overall governance, methods, and policy overview of the response to Covid-19, is this off-topic?

It is absolutely not off topic. As we mentioned in the guidance, we provide a suggested rationale, but you can organise the essay in a way that you find adequate. Of course, remember that the essay will be marked and scrutinised in regards to structure and clarity, having said that, your initial rationale seems a good structure.

3. I am just emailing you regarding topic A. For topic A you specify that we should talk about 'Available healthcare resources' and ‘level of performance of healthcare services’. Although they do not do this in the WHO framework, would it be acceptable to split the 6 building blocks between healthcare resources (workforce, information, medicines) and healthcare services (service delivery, financing, leadership)? 

Yes, the WHO ‘health systems building blocks’ are a solid structure for analysis; level of performance of services comes under the block called service delivery. 

4. Just a quick follow-up question - if we do use tables, visual aids or graphs, will these be included in the word count?

No, visual aids and data (such as tables, graphs) are not part of the overall word count.

5. I am currently writing up the second health systems assignment on the US and would like to ask a question about different types of expenditure, specifically the difference between GGHE, Private Health exp and OOP payments. I understand that GGHE is spending of public funds, likely taxes (…) however, I am confused around how private health expenditure (49.5% in US) is differentiated from OOPP (11% in US)? Are these figures all even pertinent to the assignment? 

This is a very specific question and relates mostly to where you are getting the data from; usually in the US the difference between ‘private expenditure’ and OOP is that the first will be mostly linked with private health insurance and the latter (OOP) with direct payments for services. Although an important detail, this should not influence your overall analysis at national level as both influence health access inequalities. Feel free to ask further questions if you need.

Keep up the good work and good luck with your submissions.

All the best,

Jonathan F