The self.

The self.

by Moaize Chechi -
Number of replies: 0

Charmaz talks about the importance of the self and self-image in those with chronic illness. Having to adapt and make changes to their lifestyle can alter drastically the way in which patient’s view themselves, which can have major consequences on their general well-being.

One patient was defiant that she was still going to fulfil society’s expectations of the way in which someone her age should be living her life: ‘but it’s changing those routines, it’s just changing, and changing with your friends as well because I’m sure most people, 25 years old and when you meet up with your friends it’s always for a glass of wine or cocktail or something’….’but I’m 25 years old now, and I’m young, and I want to be out enjoying myself’….’it’s a big part of our society’.

As a patient’s life becomes more restricted through the course of a chronic illness, the illness becomes a bigger and bigger part of their identity. One patient, at the time of diagnosis, said they ‘didn’t realise the impact it would have on my daily life and work life and marital life’. Simultaneously, the reflection of their self from friends and family holds a greater importance in the patient’s own self-image.

Drawing upon a symbolic interactionist perspective, the central theme of the paper is how social relationships and the change in dynamics within them can have a profound effect on the value and esteem with which a patient views themselves; thus a vital predictor for well-being and overall quality of life.