DISCOURSE ANALYSIS APPROACH TO THE CONCEPT OF PATIENT AUTONOMY

DISCOURSE ANALYSIS APPROACH TO THE CONCEPT OF PATIENT AUTONOMY

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 0

Discourse analysis is a qualitative method which focuses on any form of written or spoken language where the interest is on the foundation social structure which might be played out in the text or conversation. It also looks at the tools and strategies people use when communicating.

I looked through a study which used discourse analysis to challenge the traditional concept of patient autonomy.

The conversation was among the doctor the patient and her spouse.  The discussion was based on the wife’s mental illness. The consultation transcript illustrated how the patient’s decision can be respected in real life. At the end of the dialogue the patient rejects both her husband’s and Doctor’s advice and in response she was made responsible for the consequence. At the end she did not take the initial EEG Examination but her dosage was increased.

The concept of patient autonomy is both a medico ethical right and therapeutic ideal in good health care practice. The realisation and maintenance of patience capacity to be free and autonomous can be done through dialogues in which the patient is allowed to represent herself and make her choice known. But the doctor and patient should have a common goal of better health for the patient.

Reference:

John Nessa and Kirsti Materud. Tell me what’s wrong with me : a discourse approach to the concept of patient autonomy. Journal of Medical Ethics 1998 ; 24 : 394-400