This module guides you through the process of choosing a research topic, researching that topic, framing appropriate research questions, structuring an argument and writing a dissertation in the expanded field of Drama, Theatre and/or Performance Studies. You will develop your project through independent research supported by a programme of seminars/workshops and supervision with your supervisor and seminar leader, addressing areas of research methodology and presentation such as: research ethics; planning and executing research, including book/journal-based, electronic, archival and interview-based research; selecting research methodologies; approaches to critical writing; and giving a research presentation.
There will be an introductory meeting in Semester 1 (around Week 6); keep an eye out for further details sent out by email nearer the time. You'll be asked to submit a proposal towards the end of Semester 1 (Week 10).
To help you start thinking ahead about what you might work on for your project, consider the following questions for identifying research projects:
- what modules have you most enjoyed over the course of your degree so far? (and why?)
- what material most fascinates you?
- what issues most exercise you?
- what arguments do you feel you want to return to?
- what kinds of research do you enjoy doing (e.g. archival work, original interviews...)?
- what academic writers do you most admire (and why)?
- what critical and performance material do you want to explore?
- what do you think you might want to work on after you complete your BA?
There's no assigned preparatory reading but we encourage you to start reading widely in relation to your areas of interest.