The Experience of Chronic Illness

The Experience of Chronic Illness

by Obianuju Ezidinma Zoe GB-Dumaka -
Number of replies: 2

The main theme of the Charmaz paper was the ‘loss of self’ experienced by people with chronic illnesses, which can take on various forms or be brought about by a number of factors. Watching the RA videos definitely helped highlight and link a number of issues explored in the paper.

One of such links that was evident as a theme running through the videos was that people diagnosed with a chronic illness, as they become increasingly unable to do the things they were once able to, seem to gain a heightened sense of awareness of aspects of themselves and their lives that they had previously taken for granted. One lady remarked, “I do remember sort of struggling to let go of the fact that I couldn't do things any more. Another said I cannot go for a walk and it's one of the most simple pleasures, especially on a lovely day…” The same lady spoke of her particular struggle when family and friends were around who may have not seen her in a while therefore be unable to appreciate the extent to which she was becoming disabled.

There were various other examples that are in parallel with the issues Charmaz raised. Social isolation was one, e.g. not being able to drink with friends because of medication, or partake in sporting activities. Others talked about being a general burden to family and the strain on other relationships overtime.

A particular issue raised at the beginning of the paper regarding the role of healthcare in chronic illness is one that I feel needs further exploration. It mentioned that very often, chronic illness is treated within an acute illness framework, which can lead to fragmented care. Health workers need to recognise this and treat patients accordingly, in a holistic manner, especially where there is a psychosomatic element involved, as seen with chronic illness.

In reply to Obianuju Ezidinma Zoe GB-Dumaka

Re: The Experience of Chronic Illness

by Moira Kelly -

I was drawn to your comment about the role of healthcare in chronic illness, with Charmaz commenting that it is treated within an acute illness framework.  Its got me wondering whether, things you (and other seminar group members of course) thought that this was still the case (given that the paper by Charmaz was written 30 years ago now)? 

In reply to Moira Kelly

Re: The Experience of Chronic Illness

by Obianuju Ezidinma Zoe GB-Dumaka -

Wow I hadn't actually realised that. I guess I did read it as if it were present tense. Thinking about the way things are actually done now, I believe we do have a bigger grasp on the nature of chronic illness and the need to treat it as a separate entity, with more emphasis on holistic care, although there will always be room for improvement as a number of personal stories of patients highlights. I found an article published in 2005 by the Department of Heallth1 entitled "Improving the Management of Chronic Disease", a testament to the improvement in this regard. 

Found here - http://www.dh.gov.uk/prod_consum_dh/groups/dh_digitalassets/@dh/@en/documents/digitalasset/dh_4075213.pdf