Topic outline

    • How can Careers & Enterprise help you?

      Careers & Enterprise is here to help you find part time work, work experience and full time work after graduation in the UK or rest of the world.

      We can do that through a number of ways:

      • Appointments with a Careers Consultant: in this 20 minute appointment you can ask questions and get guidance on career choice, how to search for a job or work experience in the UK or internationally and the UK recruitment process. Book by calling 020 7882 8533 or come into WG3, Queens building to book.

      • Appointments with an Application Adviser: these appointments are just for feedback on a CV, cover letter, personal statement for further study or job application form. Book by calling 020 7882 8533 or come into WG3, Queens building to book.

      • Please note we don't correct your grammar or spelling - to get support with your English book into Language courses. Book an appointment at

      • Events: we run events with employers on campus where you can find out more about the companies and get training on interview and job application technique. Employers do not recruit or interview students at our events - they are for information and networking only. Once a term we also run a talk with Advice & Counselling specifically for internationals: Working in the UK after graduation. All events are listed at

      • In-School workshops: every academic School has a series of workshops run by the Careers Consultant to prepare you for finding work experience and work.  You will receive notification to your QMUL email and you can also find them listed here:

      • Work experience placement: we recruit students for paid internships and temporary work on campus and local to campus.  For a full list of vacancies search the 'vacancies' tab

      • Job search: we have an online jobs board where you can search for part time and full time work and work experience and an international job search database, Going Global.  We don't provide a list of employers who recruit students from your country or subject.
      • Searching for jobs overseas

        Marketing Yourself To International Employers
        As a UK educated student you have a particular set of skills that you can take overseas to market yourself to employers in other countries.  These include cultural awareness, languages, communicating across difference and adaptability.  Think about how you have demonstrated these skills whilst at QMUL and add these examples to your CV or cover letter when making applications.

        Read more here about each of these skills and how you can market them to an employer

        International Job Search
        Finding a job overseas is best done by a combination of searching for job vacancy adverts and networking with individuals in that country.

        Here are some guides that we produced for countries that QM students often return home or go overseas to work in.

        QMUL international job search guide russia

        QMUL international job search guide china
        QMUL International job search guide Pakistan

        QMUL International job search guide Malaysia

        International job search guides India

        Job vacancy sites
        Going Global
        Lists of over 1 million internships and jobs in countries across the world and information about professional networks and recruitment processes in each country.

        Careers Tagged, for an online library of websites about everything from visa regulations to job search sites in specific countries.  Enter 'international students' into the search box for general resources or your country of interest if you are job searching overseas.

        Our jobs board, where you can search by country as well as type of job role

        EU Blue Card
        The EU Blue Card Network gives you a means to work in an EU country.  You upload your CV on the EU blue card website for EU employers to look at.  If they like you they will get in touch. After interview if they decide to hire you they will also provide a work visa for their country.

        J1 Visa
        You can work in the USA over the summer an a part time job, internship or after graduation for up to 12 months via the J1 visa scheme.  Organisations such as Parenthese and Global Experiences offer this. Read more about it by clicking through to our blog or watching the video below:

        Getting internships and work in the USA J1 visa, part of International Student Week by Parenthese

        Gradlink Africa / China / India / MalaysiaSouth East Asia  : all the Gradlink sites contain country specific job hunting, a network of 300+ employers globally, success stories and job vacancies. You can build your CV online and upload it for employers to see.

        Going Global, for job and internship vacancies across the world, and well as information on work permit/visa regulations, resume writing guidelines and examples, employment trends, salary ranges, networking groups, cultural/interviewing advice... and much more!

        Facebook group for Mandarin speakers, with updates on events and opportunities. When you request to join, you need to make sure your FB profile states which university you are at.

        Networking Opportunities
        An online professional network. You can use the advanced search function on LinkedIn to find QM alumni who work in your country of interest and get in touch with them for an email, skype or phone conversation. You can use this to get tips on how to job search in that country and ask if they can connect you to anyone else in the sector of work you are applying to. Check our events calendar to see if there are any workshops on LinkedIn you can book into here.  Download our helpsheet on LinkedIn.

        QMUL alumni networks
        Sign up to the alumni networks to connect with alumni in other countries.  They are often willing to give advice and make introductions.

        British Council Facebook group for updates on networking events here and in your home country for students who have studied in the UK.

        Local social networks
        Online social networks are increasingly good places to network with locals and employers and find out about jobs.  Find out what it used in your country of interest the most. You can read more about this here. Going Global lists professional networks for each country which run events you can attend and meet people.

      • Searching for jobs in the UK after graduation

        This section outlines things to think about when you are searching for work in the UK

        To understand how to search for work in the UK and have a clear knowledge of the UK Visa system, we suggest you watch the video below:

        Working in the UK after Graduation including Visa Advice  - Part of International Student Week

        First half from QM Careers & Enterprise: 0 - 44.26 minutes:

        Covers UK recruitment cycles, the difference between Graduate schemes and Graduate level jobs. Also what employers are looking for and help available from Careers & Enterprise.

        Second half from QM Advice and Counselling 44.26 minutes to the End, covers Visa Regulations for Tiers 1 (Entrepreneur), 2  and 5 (Work experience). 

        ***Please note QM Advice and Counselling do not give individual advice on Tiers 1, 2 and 5. ***

        Gaining work experience in the UK after graduation is possible through the tier 5 Visa. The following video from Access Tier 5 gives more details of the scheme.

        Tier 5 visas for UK employment - Part of International Student Week

        Showing your value to UK employers
        As an international student, you will have a unique perspective and skillset that UK employers value. 

        The CBI found that seven out of ten (70%) businesses said that they valued foreign language skills in their employees (CBI 2013) and specified that language skills were particularly useful in building relationships with clients, customers and suppliers and assisting staff mobility within the organisation.

        Cultural awareness
        You will have experience of working across cultures, which is something many firms with international clients want in their employees.  You also have specific knowledge of your own country, so you could try and find employers who are expanding into your country or have a client base there to whom you could add value due to your nationality.

        Lots of employers want employees who can adapt to new environments  - new people, new processes and new workspaces.  This is exactly what you had to do when moving to the UK, so you can use this fact to highlight your flexibility to your employer.

        At Interview

        If you would like tips on improving your English for UK interviews, please watch this video from the QM Language Centre

        Working Regulations
        To stay in the UK and work you need to have the right visa. We cannot advise on this: for full information on visa regulations see the Advice and Counselling website.  You can also refer to UKCISA

        The UK Recruitment Process
        Click here for more information about the process of getting a job in the UK

        If you are applying to a small or medium sized firm it can be useful to find out whether they already hold a sponsorship licence, to sponsor graduates under Tier 2.  You can cross check the name of the firm by downloading the Register of Sponsors and using 'Ctrl F' on the keyboard to search the register.

        Where can I find job vacancies?
        Careers & Enterprise have detailed information handouts, which list the places to look for vacancies in different areas of work.  You can access these by clicking here .

        International student success stories
        Here are stories of some students who have transitioned from UK study to working in the UK in the last couple of years. Read them to get advice and insights to help your own job search.

        Advice and success stories from a range of universities including QMUL

        Internships and 1 year work placements after graduation
        Under the Tier 5 visa you can do a placement/internship in the UK for up to 12 months through the 'Government Authorised Exchange' programme. If you can't get an employer to sponsor you on a Tier 2 visa, then this is a good alternative option where there is an approved sponsor who obtains a visa for you instead of the employer needing to do so.

        There are lots of organisations who can sponsor you on via this programme - download our helpful for a list of organisations and how to use them.

        You can also see a list of Tier 5 sponsors here

      • Advice on how to search for work at home, as a UK educated student

        If you are returning home to work then here are some things to consider in advance of leaving the UK.

        1. Maintain your networks
        Spend time whilst you are here keeping in touch with professionals in your own country. 'Like' the British Council Alumni Network facebook page, to find out about networking events and career fairs for returning students, which you can attend once you have arrived back in your home country.

        2. Brush up your English if it's not your first language
        Home employers will expect you to have a far better level of English than your peers, so make sure that you really are practising it whilst you are here. Use the QMUL in-sessional English courses and get involved in societies and volunteering on-campus to exercise your language skills by working alongside your English peers.

        3. Develop extra knowledge and skills related to your desired career area
        There are so many courses you can attend in London to get extra skills - make the most of them! Talk to a member of our Information Team in our Careers Centre (WG3, Queens building) to get advice on how to find out about relevant courses.

        4. Making job applications
        Make sure that you adjust your CV for the style of your home country.  You can't assume that employers are home will know about QMUL so you need to market the reputation of the university.  

        5. Read our job hunting guides for International students (China, Malaysia, India, Pakistan and Russia)

        Finding Work in China - A guide for Chinese students

        Finding Work in India - A guide for Indian students

        Finding Work in Malaysia - A guide for Malaysian students

        Finding Work in Pakistan - A guide for Pakistani students

        Finding Work in Russia - A guide for Russian students

        How to secure a job back in Asia after your UK graduation - by International recruitment specialists Hays - Part of International student week

        • Information about the Tier 1 (Graduate Entrepreneur) Visa

          The Graduate Entrepreneur visa is for international students who have a viable business that they want to set up in the UK after graduation.  You can read more about the visa regulations on the Advice and Counselling website. 

          Careers & Enterprise support students who would like to be endorsed for this visa, through offering 1-2-1 appointments where you can share your business idea and receive feedback and through attending events on our Enterprise programme throughout the year.

          What can you do to improve your chances of receiving endorsement for a Tier 1 (graduate) entrepreneur visa?

          QMUL can endorse students who have a ‘genuine’ and ‘credible’ business idea. This means that you need to show evidence that it will work.  Although you can't test it out as a student (as you’re not allowed to be self-employed while studying in the UK under Tier 4 immigration permission) there are still lots of ways that you can research and validate your business idea in order to convince a panel that it’s well-researched, genuine and credible:

          1)      Do some market research

          1. Talk to as many of your target customers as you can to get feedback on your idea. This can be in person via interviews or small focus groups, or online via surveys. Record your findings so that you can show them to the interviewing panel if requested.
          2.  If you already have a product, test it on people to get feedback. This may be via formal trials or smaller focus groups.
          3. Research your competitors, in detail, to make sure that you have a genuine USP – i.e. that you’re offering something different, or better, to them.


          2)      Develop your product or service

          1. If you’re coming up with a novel invention, get some initial advice to find out whether it’s patentable (you can seek free legal advice from QLegal on campus as a start point).
          2. If you’re creating a service, offer a free trial to a potential customer so that you can test out your offering and they can provide feedback and a testimonial for you, and/ or create a one page description of exactly what you’ll be offering the customer – this might be in the form of a leaflet that you’d use in order to advertise your business to new customers once you’ve set it up.


          3)      Develop your brand

          1. Choose a name for your company, and design a sample logo and marketing messages. You might want to buy the domain name to reserve this for your website in case you are successful in securing endorsement for your visa.


          4)      Research and prepare your finances

          1. Prepare a detailed 2 year cashflow that includes all of the money you’ll need to spend on the business every month, and estimate the amount of money that you could make per month through sales. Careers & Enterprise put on regular financial overview workshops that you could attend for help with this.
          2. Use the cashflow to work out the amount of initial investment that you’ll need to set up your business (e.g to pay salaries, develop a website, develop a product, get legal advice etc. before you start making money from sales) and investigate sources of income for this (e.g. your savings, your family, a loan, an external investor).  Be prepared to provide evidence of your investment sources.


          5)      Find a team to work with

          1. You probably won’t have all of the skills that you need to set up every different part of your business, so consider finding a business partner(s) with skills to help you.
          2. If you want to work alone you can still benefit from external support – try and find a mentor to support you (Careers & Enterprise can assist with this).
          3. Join InQUBEate, QMUL’s new 8 week incubator programme that allows like-minded entrepreneurs to meet each other and provides weekly training and group mentoring.

          Practical tips:

          1)      Apply on time – allow at least three months between application and visa expiry date. QMUL only has 10 places to endorse per year, so make sure there are still remaining places before you apply by contacting the Enterprise Programme Coordinator.

          2)      Get feedback on your idea/ application in an enterprise appointment by calling Careers & Enterprise on 020 7882 8533.  Appointments are 30 minutes long with our Enterprise Coordinator, Rachel Brown, every Friday.

        • Getting UK work experience and part time work

          Internship and temporary work 
          An internship is usually a 1-6 month working opportunity in a professional company, that is done during your  winter/easter or summer vacation or after graduation.  If you see the term 'placement' it usually refers to a period of professional work experience that is done as a part of your academic course.

          Internships are used by students as a way of building relevant work experience.  In the UK most students try and get an internship during their time at university so that they can go straight from graduation into a full time job.  If you don't feel you have enough relevant experience to go into work after graduation then you may wish to try and find an internship to do first, to build up your work experience.

          Search QRecruit for temporary work* and internships in the UK only available to QM students. Select 'QTemps' and 'QInterns' in the search drop down. Make sure you apply for your National Insurance number as soon as possible, as we can't hire you without it.  Read the government website for information on how to do this.

          (*Temporary work means work that is not permanent - it may be a few hours, a few weeks or a few months, full time or part time).

          There are lots of websites which advertise summer and off-cycle (these are during term time) internships.  Most summer internships are for penultimate year students (i.e. 2nd years on a 3 year course, or 3rd years on a 4 year course or continuing onto a Masters) but not all are limited to this, so you need to check the details of the internship to see who is eligible for them.  Websites advertising internships include RateMyPlacement and TargetJobs .  You can also search vacancy websites specific to your industry.  Find a list of these on our online 'Getting into' handouts. 

          Finding part time work

          Read our guide on how to find part time work and 

          Search JobOnline for part time and temporary work.
          To find part time jobs in your desired career area you can also search the vacancy websites specific to your industry.  Find a list of these on our online 'Getting into' handouts.
          ownload our part-time work talk presentation from welcome week below.

          If you would find it helpful to talk with a member of our information or careers consultant team about how to find part time work  or internships then call us on 020 7882 8533.

        • For PG Masters students with Tier 4 visa: Summer visa vacation period to enable full time internships or work experience during dissertation period - must be approved. PLEASE READ CAREFULLY

          If you are studying on a taught postgraduate masters programme that ends in September, the summer is not vacation time for Tier 4 students. You use this time to complete a project or dissertation, or sit exams, and you can only work a maximum of 20 hours per week until the official end date of your programme. 

          However, exceptionally, your dissertation/project supervisor may authorise a short (up to four weeks) vacation period during this period, either before or after the dissertation has been submitted, to allow you to undertake a self-contained work-placement that finishes before your official end date (as stated on your CAS). This four week vacation period cannot be used to undertake a full-time job that extends beyond the end of your official course end date (as stated on your CAS) as this would amount to early completion of your course and would not be a vacation. If you wish to begin a full-time job that continues past your official course end date you must wait until the official end date on your CAS.

          To use this vacation scheme, if you have Tier 4 immigration permission you will need to provide an employer with an official letter from the Academic Registry confirming the dates of this vacation. You can direct your supervisor or another appropriate staff member in your School to the following guidance about how they can notify the Registry that they are authorizing your vacation, and you can then request the letter from Registry: Guidance for supervisors and instructions for requesting letters on behalf of supervisees [QMUL staff only].

          This just applies to taught master programmes because other PG students do not follow the same pattern.  SO IT DOES NOT APPLY TO THE FOLLOWING PG STUDENTS

          PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU CAREFULLY REVIEW THE SECTION ON THE LINK BELOW CALLED "During vacations" and make sure this scheme applies to you before you pursue it.  THERE ARE NO EXCEPTIONS WHAT SO EVER TO THESE GUIDELINES.   IF WE HAVE TOO MANY  NON-COMPLIANT REQUESTS the scheme may be discontinued.  Once again read the section called "during vacations" in the link below